English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Gotek Floppy emulators and Amiga computers now working together! :) (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=72467)

desiv 07 March 2014 03:08

Hmmm Flaw in my plan..

Has anyone gotten this to work with a Kickstart disk image on an Amiga 1000?

I've tried a kickstart 1.3 and a kickwork disk, and neither seem to work..

Does this not support kickstart ADF images??
(Note: I did get this to work on my A1000, but I had to use a kickstart floppy in the A1000, then I unkooked the power and the floppy cable from the real drive. Then I plugged in the floppy cable and then the floppy power to the GOTEK. And then it worked, but not with any kickstart ADFs so far..)

-------------------------

I just had a great idea..
(I have them all the time, but for some reason they tend to lose their "greatness" once verbalized... )

Can I hook up both the Gotek And my Amiga 1000 floppy at the same time, both as DF0, but use a toggle switch (just on the power to the drives?) so I can have either the Gotek OR the internal as active?
That way, I can have the Gotek attached via the cable thru the side port (which is already open for my tomthul IDE) and just flip a switch to use the internal if I want to use a real floppy?

Obviously, I'd have to make a floppy cable that has 2 connectors and no flipped wires..
But wondering if I could just toggle which device has power???

Just a thought..

desiv

Jope 07 March 2014 08:05

Route the DS0 signal via the switch either to the gotek or the physical drive.

voyager 07 March 2014 12:18

Just give him a few weeks. new firmwares appear every few days, I' am sure the bug will be fixed, so you can use it on your A1000 :-)

ElectroBlaster 07 March 2014 15:59

I currently have two, black and a white (if you can call it white! looks grey :( )

So just to clarify something! By putting one into an old external disk drive case, will it act as DF1 or does it play up?

I was hoping it would just work as a normal drive and appear on workbench as DF1.

I need to pull my thumb out and get some work done this weekend. I have everything here ready.

:)

desiv 07 March 2014 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jope (Post 942140)
Route the DS0 signal via the switch either to the gotek or the physical drive.

Oh, good thought!!!
I haven't looked at the pinout yet for a floppy cable..
Hopefully there's an unused wire in the cable i can use for sending the DS0 back to the internal (so I can put the switch on the external GOTEK; easier to get at..).

I ordered some cable connectors, just have to order some cable (don't have any handy long enough) and will be able to do that..

desiv

voyager 07 March 2014 19:17

@ electroblaster

If you put in in a external disk drive cast it will act as DF1. No it does not play up.

BUT... wait for it......

The selector software does not work correctly with the gotek as DF1.

Just use it as DF0, select al the images and after that use it as DF1

johnim 07 March 2014 19:22

hi voyager how do you use an external drive as df0

voyager 07 March 2014 21:44

I use the gotek on the internal FDD port in my amiga 1200, use the selector software. After that I put in a external drive case. Its a bit of a work around but it works.

Arnie 08 March 2014 08:27

I've successfully reflashed my Gotek to v1.4 using Win7, and CP210x flasher connected like this....

You can't see too well on the photo but it's the orange wire for power, brown for gnd.

It works first time, every time, unlike the prolific that only works on XP (for me anyway)

Arnie 08 March 2014 09:17

I,ve a suggestion for the file selector/loader software.

At present all disks for a game are loaded into a numbered list.

eg.

1 Ruffian Disk 1
2 Ruffian Disk 2
3 Ruffian Disk 3
4 Drip
5 Curse of Enchantia Disk 1
10 Curse of Enchantia Disk 6
11 Full Contact Disk 1
etc.....

Now if I want to play Full Contact, I have to remember that it's in Slot 11.

Would it be better/possible to load config files like WinUAE where the 3 Ruffian disks are store in eg. Ruffian.config, or Config1. Then you only have to remember the config file to load a game.

Using the above example, to play Full Contact I would have to remember Config4. Plus with 99 slots available you could store even more entries for your ADF collection. Enough for loads of Coverdisks not just games.

Keir 08 March 2014 09:30

Any chance this could support IPF? With EADF overlays for writes? Hehe :)

mr.vince 08 March 2014 10:03

Yeah, that would be fun...

Retrofan 08 March 2014 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arnie (Post 942382)
I've successfully reflashed my Gotek to v1.4 using Win7, and CP210x flasher connected like this....

You can't see too well on the photo but it's the orange wire for power, brown for gnd.

It works first time, every time, unlike the prolific that only works on XP (for me anyway)

Could you please give me the link to the flasher?

Yesterday I spent hours trying to flash it, even installed XP mode, used a PSU for power... I tried all :sad

Arnie 08 March 2014 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrofan (Post 942397)
Could you please give me the link to the flasher?

Yesterday I spent hours trying to flash it, even installed XP mode, used a PSU for power... I tried all :sad

I got mine from Amazon.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Retrofan 08 March 2014 11:36

I mean the software. If I can't get the usb adapter to work with the flasher drivers I will have to buy another.

Edit: My usb adapter has the chip PL 2303 HX

johnim 08 March 2014 13:01

Hi H.M is there any chance of a txtfile for listing adfs to be inserted into the selector adf so the software can read and auto add to the gotek

Eg make a list of games adfs.txt which can be copied to selector adf

Then the gotek can read it as it will take ages to add all the slots 1 by 1

Thankyou john

voyager 08 March 2014 13:33

@ retrofan,

http://i.imgur.com/Pcqr8dcl.jpg

Is it this one?

Retrofan 08 March 2014 13:58

I bought this: http://www.ebay.es/itm/400586409523?...84.m1439.l2649

With Windows 7 it recognizes it, but the flash tool fails. With Windows XP it doesn't recognize it.

I think I will have to buy another usb adapter like yours, thanks.

voyager 08 March 2014 16:01

Did you do a loopback test on it?

I can send you one of mine it's quicker then ebay.

Arnie 08 March 2014 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrofan (Post 942423)
I bought this: http://www.ebay.es/itm/400586409523?...84.m1439.l2649

With Windows 7 it recognizes it, but the flash tool fails. With Windows XP it doesn't recognize it.

I think I will have to buy another usb adapter like yours, thanks.

That's the one that will only work in XP. I had to swap the rx & tx lines over to get it to work.