English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Individual Computers - New accelerator cards for A600 & A1200 (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=55059)

Khyron 08 October 2010 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schoenfeld (Post 706600)
Khyron,

trust me, ultimately it'll be better for the customers if proper service can be provided. If you end up having bought an accelerator that does not work with your particular board and don't find anyone locally, you'd have wished that the vendor made sure the customer has someone to turn to for service.
Jens

I think that part is a great thing (I don't need it myself since I've got access at home & work to all the tools needed.. smt,relflow, x-ray etc..)
I'm just hoping that there will be enough stock and places to order from since I'm looking to buy a couple of the A600 and A1200 models.

I recently got back into the amiga again and it sparked interest with my neices and nephews so I bought a few amigas as christmas presents for them and these are just perfect to make the systems compete. It been a nightmare trying to find reasonably priced ram and accelerators.

I really need to say thank you for all those Amiga and C= things you still build.

r0jaws 08 October 2010 23:40

This is very good news indeed. :)

Jens, thank you for all the effort you continue to put into these hardware expansions.
Quite simply, I wouldn't be able to enjoy my 1200 without the Indivision SDFF you built and I look forward to breathing more life into my 600 when you go into production with these too.

papa_november 11 October 2010 10:02

Wacky question about the A1200 version: there's pads on the 1200 motherboard for an FPU. If you were to put an FPU there, would it work?

Paul_s 11 October 2010 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predseda (Post 706745)
OOOooooonly Jens Schoenfeeeeeld
makes it poooossibleee....

:D:spin:crazy

I've emailed Doommaster to see if he can do a new version of his rendition of 'Only Amiga' song :)

AndyLandy 11 October 2010 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_s (Post 707548)
I've emailed Doommaster to see if he can do a new version of his rendition of 'Only Amiga' song :)

Oh, for the love of God, no! Nobody deserves that!

@Jens: That's fantastic news, I know there's been some difficulty with the A600 boards in the past, I'm really glad to hear that they are now on the horizon. I can definitely see myself finding a home for an A600 and an A1200 board once they become available. Thanks again for all your hard work, it's appreciated.

:great

Schoenfeld 11 October 2010 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa_november (Post 707518)
Wacky question about the A1200 version: there's pads on the 1200 motherboard for an FPU. If you were to put an FPU there, would it work?

No, it wouldn't work. Multiple lines that would be needed to operate it are not available on the 150-pin bus, and the FPU would be on the wrong side of the data bus drivers.

Once again, there's no application that makes sense on a 030 these days that would not work without an FPU. Don't try to push an FPU into a system that doesn't need one.

Jens

cosmicfrog 11 October 2010 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schoenfeld (Post 707558)
Once again, there's no application that makes sense on a 030 these days that would not work without an FPU. Don't try to push an FPU into a system that doesn't need one.

Jens

sounds just like something alexh would say ;)

not that its wrong :)

ant512 12 October 2010 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schoenfeld (Post 707558)

AmiBlitz 3. I have no idea why an IDE needs an FPU, but it does.

cosmicfrog 12 October 2010 05:52

ant u need take that up with the software developers of AmiBlitz

ant512 12 October 2010 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmicfrog (Post 707725)
ant u need take that up with the software developers of AmiBlitz

Not really; it's just an example of a program that works fine on an 030 but needs an FPU.

Schoenfeld 12 October 2010 21:31

1 Attachment(s)
Would be interesting to see if FPU commands can be trapped and emulated, so you can at least run FPU software. However, it's too late to think about adding an FPU, and the memory speed that we gain from skipping on the FPU is considerable, so I still think it's a good trade.

Surprisingly, the PCBs are early. We haven't booked any machine time before AmiWest, so it's questionable if we will have a few units with us in Sacramento. Here's a glance at the boards - they'll be really beautiful!

Jens

FOL 12 October 2010 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schoenfeld (Post 707918)
Would be interesting to see if FPU commands can be trapped and emulated, so you can at least run FPU software. However, it's too late to think about adding an FPU, and the memory speed that we gain from skipping on the FPU is considerable, so I still think it's a good trade.

Surprisingly, the PCBs are early. We haven't booked any machine time before AmiWest, so it's questionable if we will have a few units with us in Sacramento. Here's a glance at the boards - they'll be really beautiful!

Jens

Ill be the machine, :). Ill make em, gimme gimme, lol.

cv643d 13 October 2010 09:00

Nice work! :great

Schoenfeld 13 October 2010 10:16

just got a reply from the assembly company: Machines are occupied until october 29th. This means that the schedule "first half of november" will be met, but we won't have anything for Amiwest.

Jens

Lord Aga 13 October 2010 11:29

Great work Jens. Really unbelievable.
It doesn't matter if they are delayed a few weeks. Your work is greatly appreciated.

FOL 13 October 2010 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schoenfeld (Post 708023)
just got a reply from the assembly company: Machines are occupied until october 29th. This means that the schedule "first half of november" will be met, but we won't have anything for Amiwest.

Jens

nice,

Have to admit, those white boards dont half look sexy, :).
Were the first CD32 Indi prototypes white?

Amigaman 13 October 2010 13:01

Looking good!

Cloudane 13 October 2010 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schoenfeld (Post 708023)

Jens

Cool, it's definite progress anyway :)

Sorry for OT-ness but are any Indivision AGA boards planned at the same time?

Schoenfeld 13 October 2010 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by FOL (Post 708053)
Were the first CD32 Indi prototypes white?

The prototype of the A4000/CD32 version was white, yes. Back then I decided not to use white because every single bit of manual soldering/fixing (that's required on a good portion of a production run) would be visible. However, I got so many eMails asking why the picture in some webshop shows white instead of blue, and if one could get a white board... short: I want to give it a try, hoping that it stays nice and white after a run through the reflow oven and the wave solder!

Jens

Schoenfeld 13 October 2010 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloudane (Post 708065)
Sorry for OT-ness but are any Indivision AGA boards planned at the same time?

Indivision AGA will be "later than that", as we can't do everything at the same time.

Jens